Police Department Services

Administrative Hearings

Local Hearings are held the 3rd Tuesday of every month at 6:00pm in the Council Chambers for all local fines and tickets.  To pay your City violation/ticket

Traffic tickets/violations are processed at the Maybrook Court House

Beat Officer Program

A team of officers are permanently assigned to each ward of the City to address quality of life issues.

Can the Police Department check my home while I am on vacation?

Yes!  Fill out the Vacant Home Check application and return it to the police department.

Child Safety Seat Inspection/Installation

Certified Officer Technician is available.  Call the Department for an appointment.

Citizens Police Academy

Conducted each fall.  Learn how the Department operates.  Contact Department for information (residents only).

Code Enforcement

Enforcement of all City ordinances and building codes.

Crime Prevention Programs

  • Security surveys are available for home and business.
  • Police experts available to address neighborhood groups or businesses on most topics of concern.  Call the Department for details.

Elderly Services Officer

The Department has officers specially trained to meet the needs of our elderly or retired citizens.


  • Fingerprinting for citizenship of Northlake residents.
  • Child identification.

Graffiti Removal

Removal within 48 hours of report.

How do I report a crime?

  • The police need to have accurate information, as quickly as possible, about suspicious activity or crime in-progress.
  • If the call you are making is a crime in-progress or if the suspicious activity turns into a crime in-progress – DIAL 9-1-1.
  •  Dial 9-1-1 and calmly identify yourself and the location where the incident is actually occurring, and whether the crime is in-progress or had just occurred.
  • Advise the dispatcher what the circumstances are that make you believe a crime is occurring or an activity is suspicious.
  •  Provide the most complete description of the person(s) or vehicle(s) that you can.  If possible write down the license plate(s) number immediately.  Do not trust your memory.
  •  If you are reporting an incident/crime that has already occurred and the offender is not at the scene, than you should call (708) 344-2128.
  •  If an officer does not need to be at the scene (such as your residence for crime scene processing, confirming damage, etc.)  then, if it is more convenient for you, you may come into the police station.


Police Reports

The records department is open Monday – Friday 8:00 am to 4:00 pm.  You will need to submit a written Freedom of Information Act Request (click here for a PDF copy of a Request Form for the Police Department). You can return the completed form in person, by mail or by fax at 708/344-2323. If sent by mail, the request should be sent to:  Freedom of Information Officer, City of Northlake, 55 East North Avenue, Northlake ,Illinois 60164.  All requests will be processed and responded to within five business days.  All fees for copies of reports are listed on the Freedom of Information Act request form and all checks should be made payable to the City of Northlake. Requests for Traffic Crash reports require a $5.00 administrative fee per state law.

School Resource Officer

Full-time officer assigned to West Leyden High School.

Social Services

The Police Department works with Leyden Family Services on a 24-hour per day availability.

Solicitation Licenses

Licenses must be obtained from the Police Department. Solicitors are required to apply for a Solicitation License at least fifteen (15) days prior to the date in which the license shall be effective. Applicants must provide proof of Liability Insurance. The License period may be approved for 30 days.

Stray Dogs or Lost/Found Dogs

Stray Dogs

Please call the Northlake Police Department at 708-531-5755.

Lost/Found Dogs

While City Ordinance prohibits dogs from running at large the Northlake Police Department attempts to identify and return such dogs through owner identification located on a dog collar or by a properly registered identification chip located on the dog.  When a dog is located and current owner information cannot be obtained, or an owner cannot be contacted for retrieval, the dog is transported to the Animal Care League in Oak Park, Illinois.  For information on a dog possibly transported to the animal shelter or to report or list a dog as running at large, please call the Police Department at 708-531-5755.

It is important to know that a dog running at large may wander into a neighboring community and be relocated to that community’s selected animal shelter.  Owners may wish to contact neighboring communities when searching for their lost dog. It is also important to know that Police Departments and Animal Shelters are not always successful in locating an ownership chip on a dog or the chip has not been properly registered.

For animal shelter information, contact the Animal Care League Lost/Found Hotline is 708-848-0172.


Truck Permits

The City of Northlake has entered into an agreement with Oxcart Permit Systems effective February 1, 2016 for overweight and oversize vehicle permits.  This system offers applicants a simple and effective way to obtain permits in a timely manner.  To set up an account and/or obtain a permit visit www.oxcartpermits.com and click on the “Trucking” tab. Once the application is electronically submitted, it will be reviewed by our Records Division during normal business hours. Upon approval, the applicant will receive notice of approval via email.  The City of Northlake permit fee is $100 and the Oxcart processing fee is $16.06.

Vehicle Lock Out Service

Lock Out Service

Vicious Dogs


When should I call the police?


  •  you or a family member are the victim(s) of a crime
  •  when you have a reason to believe that violence against person(s) or against oneself is imminent
  •  when you observe any person who seems to have no purpose wandering the neighborhood
  •  you observe a vehicle(s) moving slowly, without lights, with no apparent destination, or repeatedly driving through the area
  •  solicitors not displaying a city permit
  •  any unusual or suspicious noises, including breaking glass, screams or pounding
  •  any person appears suspiciously out of place, for instance a stranger at the back of your neighbor’s house or garage
  •  a stranger in a car beckoning a child
  •  a child resisting the advances of an adult

NOTE:  You are not asked if you are a United States Citizen or legal resident when reporting a crime to the police or are the victim of a crime.