A fixture in the Northlake community is celebrating a milestone anniversary this fall. Apostles Lutheran Church, 10429 W. Fullerton (just west of Mannheim), is celebrating her 75th anniversary on October 26, with a special service at 9:15 a.m. and a catered “Octoberfest” meal afterward.

The guest preacher and speaker that day will be the Reverend Dr. John C., the second vice president of the Lutheran Church – Missouri Synod. Dr. Wohlrabe was an active duty U.S. Navy Chaplain for 22 years. He retired with the rank of captain in May of 2009. Purchased tickets are required for the catered meal afterward.

Apostles began in 1939, when the area was largely farmland. The mission board of the Lutheran Church – Missouri Synod canvassed the area beginning in 1938, and soon thereafter, gathered enough people to begin a church and school. The first church service was held in July of 1939, at the current location. The elementary school closed its doors in 1990.

The current church building was dedicated in January, 1962, when the Rev. William L. Bartling was the pastor. The current pastor of Apostles is the Rev. Ralph G. Tausz, who has been pastor of the church since 2000.

“Since 1939, we have been about one thing: connecting people in this community to Jesus Christ, and His abundant grace and mercy,” Tausz said. “It is certainly fitting in this anniversary year that we heartily thank the Lord, who has enabled us to continue to bring the truth of God’s Word to the Northlake area.”

Services are held every Sunday at 9:15 a.m. Sunday School for children and Bible Study for adults takes place right afterward. The church’s website is www.apostlesmelrosepark.org.

About City of Northlake